Oh, Amazon. You are the giver of impulsive ideas and the taker of credit card limits. As you well know, Amazon can be the best and worst thing to happen to your budget, especially if you’re prone to Shiny Object Syndrome
This has been the case for me since getting into aquariums, though at least my hobby now involves keeping things alive instead of hoarding massive amounts of yarn, books, vintage decor, you name it.
Amazon has a ridiculous amount of goodies for aquariums, including live pets if you’re so inclined! However, I wanted to skip that part (as YMMV when it comes to getting things delivered alive…and it’s typically best to just go to the breeder’s website instead for better deals. Looking at you, Aquatic Arts shipping rates!) and instead show you the best aquarium purchases I’ve found on Amazon and my recommendations. Let’s dive in! (Get it? I am so sorry)
My favorite aquarium-related purchases on Amazon
- AQUANEAT 12 Pack Aquarium Suction Cup Clip Black – These are SO fantastic for holding plants that you want to grow on the sides of your aquariums.
- 3 Pcs Natural Spider Wood Reptile Spiderwood Branches – If you want to do more of a natural decor look, these work great. Shrimp love to crawl over them, and my fish like the little obstacle courses they make.
- Natural Slate/Quartz Aquarium Stones – These end up being SO pretty in a tank! The amount of stones you get is incredible and they’re great for stacking.
- AQUANEAT LED Aquarium Light Full Spectrum Fish Tank Light – I’ve bought this light for anything 10-gallon or bigger. It works exceptionally well with outlet timers and gives a good amount of light.
- Natural Cholla Wood 5 Pack – Great for shrimp and the best price I’ve found
- VIVOSUN 4-Pack LCD Digital Aquarium Thermometer – Never trust a heater on its own!
- Premium Indian Almond Leaves – These are optional but great for bettas. They also give the water a dark, tea-stained look which makes for great drama.
- ALEGI Aquarium Decoration Rock Caves – These are ceramic and I’ve bought this set twice. I typically split the set into separate tanks. They help give little critters or fish hiding spots, but I’ve seen my bettas cruising through them once or twice.
- Aquapapa Corner Filter + Up to 40 Gal ea – So far these are the best filters I’ve found. They’ve got multiple levels of filtration and handle a LOT of gunk. My one complaint is they accrue hair algae quickly and need to have their lids cleaned often. The smaller ones are in my 10-gallons while the larger ones are in anything 20+.
- hygger Adjustable 5W/10W Aquarium Air Pump with 2 Ports – My favorite air pump ever! It’s INCREDIBLY quiet, powerful, and the suction cups work well for keeping it in place.
- SMALLRT Power Strip with USB Ports 9.8FT Extension Cord with Multiple Outlets – I love this because it keeps my cords in check AND each side has individual power buttons which is awesome for killing the power to multiple heaters during water changes.
- BornFeel Aquarium Air Pump Splitter – Great for expanding the capabilities of the hygger air pump.
- API Water Test Kit + API Replacement Test Tubes for Aquarium Test Kits 6 Pack Bundle – So, you’ve probably heard of the API test kit but get a set of extra tubes if you’ve got multiple tanks. You’ll be surprised how much you need them.
- SZELAM 100W/300W/500W/800W Aquarium Heater – My favorite heater! The adjustments are super-easy to make and I love that it comes with sticky strips to attach to a wall (or aquarium if you want)
- KORDON #39446 100% Natural and Herbal Formula Ich Attack-Ich – This is the only Ich medication I found that didn’t mess with my snails or shrimp while I was treating my fish.
- NEPTONION Magnetic Aquarium Fish Tank Glass Algae scrapers – I have no idea why algae scrapers are so expensive but these do the job well enough for the price.
- Geiserailie 15 Pieces Aquarium Filter Bags – If you want to add something like Purigen to your filters, these are great. The zippers are tiny and the mesh is small so your additives stay in place while still working.
- Portable Mini USB Aquarium Fish Tank Oxygen Air Pump – I went back and forth on buying this but it’s come in handy for things like moving fish to new tanks or needing to isolate a fish in a quick setup hospital tank.
- Lxiyu 7 in 1 Aquarium Aquascaping Tools Kits – If you’ve got any sort of live plants, the scissors are a god send and you’ll be surprised how often the shrimp net comes in handy for critters.
- Aquapapa 4X Dual Bio Sponge Filter – I got these when I first moved away from hang-on-back (HOB) filters and they’re great. They don’t have much in the way of biofiltration but are excellent for low-maintenance tanks.
- hygger Bucket-Free Aquarium Water Change Kit + SmarterFresh 7-Piece Faucet Adapter Kit – So so so critical! I bought this when I only had a single 10-gallon tank (ah, memories) and even then it was a worthwhile investment. Get the adapter kit to make it fit on your faucets, you’ll be glad you did!
- Aquapapa Bio Sponge Filter Cut-to-Fit Pad or Senzeal 4PCS Pre-Filter Foam Sponge Roll Aquarium Filter Intake Cover – I think this is a “one of the other” depending on the type of filter you have. I’ve actually just kept strips of the sponge pad chilling in my cycled tanks so I can instantly cycle a new tank without needing to wait.
Purchases I’d Skip
And, of course, the bad buys on Amazon + what I’d recommend instead.
- Small Fish Light for Tanks Without Border and NICREW Fish Tank Clip on Light – Both of these are fine, I guess, for nano tanks. I tried both on my 3-gallon rimless, and they fit + lit the tank beautifully. My problem stems from their inability to handle timers. The NICREW one kinda-sorta works on a timer, but there are often times I’ll have to manually turn the light back on.
- Zelerdo 4 Pack Aquarium Fish Feeding Ring Floating Food Feeder – Honestly, just connect airline tubes in a small ring if you’ve got a lot of floating plants blocking the fish food.
- Tetra Whisper Easy to Use Air Pump for Aquariums (Non-UL) – SO not quiet! Also, the Non-UL part concerns me. Returned it.
- AQQA Aquarium Light,Full Spectrum LED Fish Tank Light – So, this light is fine overall. I just prefer the Aquaneat version since it has different settings.
- UPETTOOLS Fish Tank Filters Aquarium Sponge Filter – Ugh. I bought a bunch of these during a lightning deal and every single one failed. They leak air in the back connection point eventually.
- POPETPOP Shrimp Feeding Tube and Dish with 2pcs Suction Cups – I’ve found my shrimp really don’t care where the food is since they’re bottom feeders and the suction cups typically fail.
- Aqueon Adjustable Pro Aquarium Heater – This has been way more hassle than it’s worth to keep stable. I’d just buy the fixed-temperature heaters instead.
- Inkbird Heating Thermostat Aquarium Reptile Submersible Probe Sensor ITC306T – So, if you have one tank then yes, this thing is really helpful. However, don’t buy it if you plan to use the two outlets on separate aquariums as there’s only one sensor. Could you get away with risking it? Probably. But I just think it’s better to get one of the Szelam heaters above.
Tips for buying aquarium supplies on Amazon
Head to the Outlet or Warehouse Deals – So many things end up getting returned on Amazon that are in great condition. Just be sure to sterilize them first if they’re going in your tank.
Don’t buy small heaters or gravel/sand there – I’ve always found cheaper options at in-person stores like PetCo or Petsmart.
Get chemicals in bulk – I’ll typically find the best prices for Prime and my plant fertilizer there in bulk sizes.
Stay away from the plastic decor bundles – I’ve read reviews of so many people seeing their fish get hurt on the sharp edges. It’s just not worth it.