Making Modern sent me mugs to review, thanks, guys!
First, I'm coming into the eye of a head cold hurricane, so if I'm ever less eloquent than usual, you'll have to let me slide.
So, let me get right into it: I was dubious about the manufacturers claims of their near unbreakableness and ability to handle hot and cold drinks, so I took my 2 mugs out for a test drive at the day job. Verdict? These fun little mugs won me over in a day.
- Aesthetic: If you're into modern minimal design, these are right up your alley. As an industrial decor nerd, I wasn't sure if these would be something that incorporated well into my current dish and mug collection, but the gray, slightly-textured surface of these actually made these a really organic fit.
- Construction: They're like a cross between stone and plastic, lightweight but with a little oomph to them
- Size: They handle about the volume of your average travel mug
- Idiot-proofness: I used these both with pre-made drip coffee and in my tea/coffee pod machine. In both instances, I was able to handle the mugs immediately without any burns or discomfort. The trick is to cup it towards the bottom and pay attention to the label (I fully admit I had no clue why I was supposed to put my pinky where the label told me to. It's not like a “poke here” but more to stabilize your hold of the cup. Hopefully, you're smarter than me when it comes to reading comprehension, but if you were feeling confused, too, I gotchu.)
- Durability: Here you go, video proof of my inability to break these. 1 MYMUG + Ceramic kitchen tile + a cringing Megan = this video:
Also, they handled the top rack of my dishwasher like a champ.
I never tried anything too cold in these because that's not really my jam, but I have to say these durable mugs are incredible and going to be my new shiny object for guests who stay with us and want something hot to drink!
I know this sounds like a shill post; I wish I had bad things to say about them but in all honesty, they're the little mugs that could. You should give these guys a go, especially for easy holiday gifts that no one else is thinking of. Check them out on Kickstarter now!