I have a love/hate relationship with cooking. I really enjoy the fruits of my labor, and I do very well on a diet when I eat meals instead of straight snacking, but getting me to cook or prepare things ahead of time requires the planets to align just so, on a full moon, when I get a random bout of motivation.
But most of the time, my time in the kitchen is spent wandering from cupboard to fridge in a pathetic attempt to find something meal-esque. So I’ve tried to split the difference when it comes to my lazy cooking style and my need to ingest nutrients by making recipes as easy as possible.
Keto-Friendly Tuna Salad
This tuna salad is a perfect example of it. I’m almost afraid to list this as an actual “recipe” because it’s so easy. It’s one of my all-time favorites. This is a variation of the recipe my Gram used to make me after school. It was absolutely perfect on fresh, white bread.
Now that I eat mostly low-carb, I’ve had to sub the fresh, white bread out for low-carb tortillas, but it is still so worth it. Though I have Mama Lupe’s tortillas showing here, I’ve actually moved on to X-Treme Wellness High Fiber Tortillas (because I miss the 90’s and its obsession with all things X-TREME!!! but also the calories and carbs are way lower)
One note about the celery: I buy the pre-diced versions. I know, I’m the worst! My reasoning, though, is that a head of celery is too much for me to get through (since Steve is not a fan). The pre-diced container is a perfect size for my tuna salad recipes, so I’ve stopped trying to fight how first-world I am when it comes to this, and just embrace that this method saves me from wasting food.
- 2 cans tuna in water (or 1 of the giant "family-sized" cans)
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 7oz container of diced celery (or diced onion and pepper if you're feeling fancy)
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning from Trader Joe's
- Drain tuna and add to an empty container
- Dump the diced celery into the container
- Add 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise for each can of tuna used
- Optional: Add Everything But the Bagel seasoning to taste (I usually keep this out and add it to individual servings)
- Mix it up!
- Serve as is or in a low-carb tortilla
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 157Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 413mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g
Nutrition data calculated by Nutritionix. Please utilize your own calculator to get specific information.